Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Fastnachts

Today I experienced my first fastnacht. It was delicious. I think everybody should try a fastnacht. It is kind of like a doughnut without a hole. Here is a description of them:

Lent begins on Ash Wednesday, March 1, 2006. In Pennsylvania Dutch country, February 28, Shrove Tuesday, the day before the start of Lent, is known as "Fastnacht Day." The Pennsylvania Dutch celebrate Shrove Tuesday by eating yeast raised potato doughnuts, which are lovingly known as "Fastnachts."

The name "Fastnacht" is German for "Fast Night." Fastnacht Day is a day to forget about dieting and a slim waistline and feast on doughnuts! It's a custom that had its beginnings with the Plain People. Making Fastnachts helped to use up the fat and sugar they had on hand before the Lenten fast began.

5 Comments:

At 7:51 PM , Blogger Erin said...

So I wonder if Sara would like potato doughnuts????

 
At 7:55 PM , Blogger Sara said...

ohhhh, I like this tradition... I like potato bread so I think i will like potato doughnuts... deep fried, mmmm.

 
At 5:42 PM , Blogger Steph said...

I had never heard of such a thing. I like doughnut days.

 
At 8:26 AM , Blogger emily said...

what are the Plain People?

 
At 5:46 PM , Blogger Janel said...

I don't know what the plain people are. i got that info from Pennsylvania

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home