Saturday, January 13, 2007

What?

Today we were shopping at the Giant. It is a pretty nice grocery store with a lot of yummy organic foods. Anyways, we were checking out and there was a young kid working the register. I would say he was still in high school. He was a very nice young man. My dad was having a conversation with him as our groceries were being scanned and bagged. I don't know what the conversation was about, but my dad said something like "I don't want to make it difficult." The kid looked at my dad with a puzzled look and said "Difficult, that isn't a word you hear in everyday language." His comment took me off guard. It was one of those things that you just can't believe.

dif·fi·cult [dif-i-kuhlt, -kuhlt]
adjective
1. not easily or readily done; requiring much labor, skill, or planning to be performed successfully; hard: a difficult job.
2. hard to understand or solve: a difficult problem.
3. hard to deal with or get on with: a difficult pupil.
4. hard to please or satisfy: a difficult employer.
5. hard to persuade or induce; stubborn: a difficult old man.
6. disadvantageous; trying; hampering: The operation was performed under the most difficult conditions.
7. fraught with hardship, esp. financial hardship: We saw some difficult times during the depression years.

3 Comments:

At 3:56 PM , Blogger Fawn said...

I use difficult a lot. "you're making this a lot more difficult than it should be." "this ski run is one of the more difficult ones on the hill." Hmmm, what type of vocabulary do those East Coast schools teach?

 
At 3:58 PM , Blogger Sara said...

k, so the above comment is from me... I am on my roommates computer and accidently posted as her... How "difficult" should it be to make sure your posting as the right person? ? ?

 
At 9:33 AM , Blogger brian said...

Yeah, I hear difficult all the time too. Especially at work because it seems that average tasks are too difficult for some of these idiots that work for me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home